Tuesday, August 5, 2008

From Google Pages To Google Sites

I have made an online professional portfolio earlier using the Google pages creator. However, according to Google, they are no longer accepting new sign-ups for Page Creator because they have shifted their focus to developing Google Sites. More importantly, my portfolio site seems to be down for a long time now.

I tried the Google sites thing, but it doesn't seem like a good choice for a personal site, such as a portfolio. It's more like a wiki pages creator. Just as they said it on the homepage: simple, secure group websites. The design and functionality of it are more oriented for groups. The targeted users are more like a hobby club, a company website, or a team project site, etc.

I will probably still make a portfolio using the Google sites, since I really want to have a working one to meet my very-soon job hunting needs. But I guess I am more eager to have my professional portfolio somewhere else. Currently I'm aiming for the Google App Engine. I was thinking about to put up a Flex site on the GAE, but didn't get it working still. Plus, the Flex application size is greatly confined by the GAE size limit, which is not good. Now I'm trying to make it all python by using the Django framework, but I gotta learn this new framework from ground-up, and it's not like I know python very well either. Well, the programmers have to learn new thing almost every day, I think it doesn't hurt too much to have one or two more. :D

UPDATE: ok never mind, it's simply that I couldn't access the googlepages service in China. My portfolio is still sitting there (I'm back to the U.S.). You can view it from here.

2 comments:

Sonny said...

Hey Fei, interesting find on that google sites. I had no idea. BTW, I'm debating whether I should port my blogging over to wordpress. As much as I love google, wordpress seems to be more extensible

Jianfei Liao (Fei) said...

this reply is a little late, but anyways. afaik, most pro-bloggers use wordpress, so it should worth a try.